I got back into writing a new scene for my WIP this week, and fell in love all over again with my MC. For a quick, semi-random Valentine’s Day post, here’s why:
1. She is totally antsy. If she isn’t doing something, she’s not happy–she gets impatient and frustrated and just starts looking for something to dig into. This is SO different from me–I’m just happy finding another book to read. 🙂
2. She has power. She takes steps to be in charge of her own life and, frankly, she’s not against being in charge of other people’s lives, if she thinks they need her. She acts.
4. She’s smart. Probably academics-smart, too, but in the important way–clever. She can see what needs to be done and find a way to do it, even if she has to be sneakily cunning to get there. I LOVE her being sneaky.
4. She loves busy-ness and energy and crowds and noise. Again, me–I’d rather just curl up away from it all, with that book.
5. She loves her family. She wants to take care of them. She’s going to have to learn to take care of herself, though.
6. She’s got some BIG control issues. So does her mother. Can you just see the crash coming?
7. Most of all, what I love about her this week? Well, I’ve found that the best way for me to write a scene these days is to identify my MC’s goal and then look for obstacles to that goal. Well, she has such definite goals, that the obstacles are just popping out at me–in fact, she creates a good many of them herself. Does she back away from those obstacles? No, she does not. She’s strong, and she’s a fighter.
Little does she know how big the fight is going to get.
Are you in love with your MC? Why? Let’s hear what makes this Valentine’s Day special for you and your characters.