Friday Five: September
Five Septembery things:
- One more month until October, which is my FAVORITE month.
- I am going to finish the MG Fast First Draft this month. Oh, yes, I am!
- I may even start revising this month! I do absolutely love revision, but it’s another stage where I got stuck and tangled in the last WIP, so there are some nerves. Hopefully, I can find the balance between figuring out some major changes and combining those with the loose, fast, “more later” drive of the first draft. Because there will SO be “more later.”
- The weather forecasts and the thermometer on my car say the same number of degrees that I kept seeing there in August. And, yet, it’s cooler. Why? See Item #1!
- Alice always, to me, smells like summer–dusty and warm and with a hint of yellow California foothills. Will she keep smelling that way into winter? Wouldn’t that be nice?
What do you love about September?
1. The slight crispness in the air (as long as it stays slight…)
2. I grew up on a prairie grain farm, and I love the fact that my city is still surrounded by farmland, so that if you drive around the perimeter of the city at this time of year, you can smell the unmistakable fragrance of harvest.
3. There are fewer mosquitoes (!)
4. The “back-to-school” new year excitement that September always brings.
5. The crunch of leaves underfoot. I walk a zigzag path in the fall, stepping on as many leaves as possible.
Enjoy September, Becky! Good luck with the MG, and give Alice a cuddle for me.
I think your leaves fall sooner than ours. Not that we have a lot in California! Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I’ll start seeing the occasional one drop, and the in October, we’ll be in full-on Autumn. But it’s coming!