Fast Friday Five: What I’m Doing Today Instead of Writing
Today starts one of those weekends that will be lots of fun and just a bit–okay, what’s NEXT on the calendar. My son’s graduating 8th grade and, on the other side of our hill, friends are getting married. My husband is best man, so he’ll be racing back and forth a bit over that hill between rehearsal and graduation and rehearsal dinner, and I’ll be playing chauffeur to my son as needed, with a little bit of hill-racing myself.
Do I have a morning free, in which I could write? Sure. Will I have the clear head and focus to figure out what’s happening in the next scene, step off our hill and back into 1913 Chicago? Uh…no. So, instead, here’s some of what I’ll be doing today.
1. Stopping at the grocery store to pick up snacks for son’s Saturday night sleepover after the graduation and after the wedding.
2. Getting on the treadmill with a good book. For as long as I need.
3. Cleaning my office, the mess in which is threatening to spill into the rest of the house and possibly….THE WORLD!!!!!
4. Picking son up early from school so he can change into those nicer graduation clothes, including quite the spiffy tie.
5. Standing in the quad back at his middle-school, watching in amazed awe at the young man he has become in the past three years.
Happy weekend, everybody!