One of my wonderful critique partners pointed out the other day, in a very nice way, that my MC’s mother is NOT very clearly drawn. Yes, I’m still writing that rough first draft, so this is to be expected. BUT…the mother is also the main antagonist. So, really, it would help if I understood her a little better than I do, to keep moving forward with all the scenes she’s in.
Today, the five questions I’m going to ask my MC’s mother.
1. What is your goal for each of your three children?
2. What is your definition of safety?
3. Why did you marry your husband?
4. What do you do, after your son’s accident, to make sure the rest of your family stays safe?
5. Are you glad, now, that you left Russia to come to Chicago? Why?
She’s been awfully quiet up until now. Let’s hope she’ll speak up and give me some answers.
Which character have you been letting hide away in the background? What do you need to find out about them before your story can be told?